Moving house is often a huge milestone for most people. It’s basically the start of your life in a new location or new property. However, moving can be challenging if done for the first time— or if done only by yourself. You will certainly need help from professional movers or a removalist company to get the job done successfully.
Have you ever hired a removalist? And how do professional removal companies help you with your move? That’s what we’re going to learn in this post.
Professional removalists are basically experts who handle the process of moving your possessions from point A to point B. They often offer moving solutions such as loading, assembling, disassembling, and packing services for their clients. Just like moving companies, removalists transport every valuable item you have from your old home to your new home safely and securely.
How do I find a removalist?
Good removalists and moving companies can be hard to find. There are many who take advantage of their customer’s ignorance and bill them unjustly. If you want to connect with a trustworthy and reliable removalist company, you have to be ready to do your research. Scour far and wide for services and compare them before deciding on the best one to hire. An easier way to find a removalist is to ask for recommendations from your trusted friends.
Why should I use a removalist?
You should hire a removalist if:
- You are inexperienced in packing and moving valuable fragile items. Removalists have the knowledge and all the needed packing materials to ensure the safe and secure transit of your belongings.
- You don’t have the time to do last-minute cleaning on your old property. Some removal companies offer cleaning services.
- You need storage for your items before you move to your new place. Most interstate removalists offer storage facilities for their clients.
Can I insure my items while they are being moved?
You should always ask and check with the removalist if they have insurance for each move. This is a great way to protect your assets while in transit. If you have several sentimental and expensive stuff, you’ll have the peace of mind that you have insurance for your precious items.
What services do removalists offer?
Removalists often offer several moving services depending on the size of the company. The most common services they provide are furniture removal, packing supplies, and cleaning services. Other removalist companies also offer additional services such as:
- Loading of belongings to truck or van
- Transport to new location or address
- Arranging and disassembling furniture
- Providing packing materials
- Storage facilities for short and long term
- Cleaning and vacating your old home
Setting a budget for Your Removals
Moving all your belongings can be expensive. But there are ways to cut costs and still afford a professional removalist. The first step is to set up a budget for your furniture removals. According to the Australian Trade Service, the average cost of removalists in Australia is around $75 to $300 an hour for local moves. Keep in mind that there are also different kinds of removalist services based on your budget. Here are the 3 most common:
Backloading: Share a removalist truck or van with other people. You will only have to pay for the area you use during transport. This is good for people who want to have the most affordable option.
Moving only: No other extra services such as packing and cleaning. If you’re on a tight budget, your moving company will skip the packing service and let you do it yourself. They might offer you packing materials such as boxes and packing tape for a fee.
Full move: This is for people in a hurry and needs to get to their location as fast as possible. The professional moving company or removalist you hire will handle everything from packing, unpacking, transporting, and cleaning! This will ensure a stress-free moving day for you and your family.
Tips on hiring a removalist
Moving can be tiring and nerve-wracking but with the help of qualified removalists, it can be a lot easier and maybe even fun! Here are tips on hiring a good removalist:
- Understand what you need – Knowing what services you need beforehand will help you choose the best removalist cost you can afford. Do you need packing? Pet transport? Any additional services must be taken into consideration before hiring a removalist company.
- Choose removalist companies with insurance – No matter how small or large your move is, it’s important that the company you choose can cover damaged or missing items while in transit.
- Always check reviews – A good way to know what to expect when hiring a removalist company is to check reviews online. Find a removalist team with a good reputation, excellent services, and friendly staff!
How do they calculate the cost?
Moving can be expensive if you don’t know how to minimize your costs. So how do removalists calculate the cost of your move? While others charge by the hour, some also charge a flat fee for the entire job based on the details you provide when requesting a quote. There are many factors that could affect the cost of your move, here are some important keys to consider:
Relocation Distance – It’s a give that of course the greater the distance between locations, the higher the cost will be. Those who are booking an interstate removalist job will have to pay higher prices compared to local moves. Learn more about other popular local moves in Sydney, such as Eastern Suburbs, Inner West, Northern Beaches and Western Sydney.
Size of Move – The more space and the heavier your items, the higher the cost. Removalists also take note of the items you have. The longer they will take to load and unload, the higher the cost will be.
Size of Your Property – Naturally, the bigger and more rooms you have in your home, the higher the cost will be.
Packing Materials – If you’ve hired them for their packing services, you will be charged for all packing materials they will use. This will include packing paper, bubble wrap, cardboard boxes, and other tools they might need to securely pack your valuables.